Saturday, February 19, 2011

James...err...Jacob's Salvation Verses

These are the verses on salvation found in James, traditionally thought to be the half-brother of Jesus.  Ironically, there is no James in the Bible. Seriously, it’s “Jacob” in the Greek manuscripts.

Asking why I’m choosing James as the second post? Honestly, it’s a short book, and I don’t really wanna spend my whole day doing this. :)

So, enjoy the salvation verses from the epistle of Jacob. Again, just trying to figure out what scripture says.
------------------------------------------
Jesus’ (the Word) Own Work: Basis of Salvation

James 1:17-18
Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. He chose to give us birth through the word of truth, that we might be a kind of firstfruits of all he created.
---------------------------
Uncategorized

James 4:8
Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded.
---------------------------
Acceptance. Jesus is inviting you inside of him.

James 1:21
Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you.
---------------------------
Affirming that Jesus is King

James 2:14-18, 21-22
What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him? Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him, “Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead. 

But someone will say, “You have faith; I have deeds.”
Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do.

James 2:24
You see that a person is justified by what he does and not by faith alone.
---------------------------
Faith/Belief/Knowing/Trusting

James 2:5
Listen, my dear brothers: Has not God chosen those who are poor in the eyes of the world to be rich in faith and to inherit the kingdom he promised those who love him?
---------------------------
Repentance


James 5:19-20
My brothers, if one of you should wander from the truth and someone should bring him back, remember this: Whoever turns a sinner from the error of his way will save him from death and cover over a multitude of sins.
---------------------------
Endurance

James 1:12
Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him.

4 comments:

  1. James is a really interesting study for a progressive CoC'er like me, since it's often used to justify a works-based salvation. I obviously don't think that's what was meant, and what I get out of these passages is that God really wants us to take this salvation He has offered us and really own it. If only we wouldn't waste time trying to make lists of all the right works and making sure others follow our list. Much ink (real and virtual) has probably been spilled on this, and I won't regurgitate those arguments here.

    On a different note, our church is doing a series of lessons on giving, which have been great, and that first verse makes me think about whether I am giving my "firstfruits" in the same way God has.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really could not have said it better. I especially like how you said he's saying we should really take hold of our salvation and own it.

    I don't know why people argue so much either. Maybe if we started with the simple truth that we need Jesus, it wouldn't get that far. after all, without the gracious gift of Jesus, we'd be stuck fighting a losing battle to try and justify ourselves before God. Interesting how we still try to do Jesus' job for Him, no?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clearly you don't share Martin Luther's view of James. Haha.
    But really, I love James 2 and how he talks about faith without works. So often have I fallen into that.
    Another well done inductive study. I'll try to check out the rest asap.

    ReplyDelete
  4. well, we should let scripture define our beliefs, not men. hopefully these verse studies can be a tool.

    And yes, I dont believe James is an epistle of straw like marty did. grace might be free, but it isn't cheap. God cannot be mocked, a man reaps what he sows.

    ReplyDelete